The Myth of American Democracy, Part 2 - Take 2 - The Role of Elections
“An American Nightmare: Black Labor and Liberation” Project livestream discussion hosted by Kali Akuno, featuring Jared Ball and Thandisizwe Chimurenga
Presented by Cooperation Jackson and Deep Dish TV
September 27, 2016 at 8pm ET, 7pm CT, 6pm MT, 5pm PT
Is there any substance to the democratic promise of electoralism within the settler-colonial cum capitalist-imperialist "project"? Or is the role of electoralism, pure and simple, a systemic and historical deception falsifying reality, regenerating the illusion that it is not a system of settler-colonialism and capitalism-imperialism, but one that it is, potentially at least, a democratic multi-class multi-racial system, and that only those who chase this illusion will receive the paltry benefits of temporary privilege. The adherents to such illusions must clearly promote the settler-colonial theft of indigenous lands and power, the perpetual oppression of black labor and life, and the indispensable hegemony of the US as the primary global imperialist power.
An American Nightmare: facebook.com/AnAmericanNightmare
Cooperation Jackson: facebook.com/CooperationJackson
Malcolm X Grassroots Movement: facebook.com/MXGMnational
KALI AKUNO is a co-founder and co-director of Cooperation Jackson. Kali served as the Director of Special Projects and External Funding in the Mayoral Administration of the late Chokwe Lumumba of Jackson, MS. His focus in this role was supporting cooperative development, the introduction of eco-friendly and carbon reduction methods of operation, and the promotion of human rights and international relations for the city.
Kali also served as the Co-Director of the US Human Rights Network, the Executive Director of the Peoples’ Hurricane Relief Fund (PHRF) based in New Orleans, Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina. And was a co-founder of the School of Social Justice and Community Development (SSJCD), a public school serving the academic needs of low-income African American and Latino communities in Oakland, California.
JARED A. BALL is a father and husband. After that he is a multimedia host, producer, journalist and educator. Ball is also a founder of “mixtape radio” and “mixtape journalism” about which he wrote I MiX What I Like: A MiXtape Manifesto (AK Press, 2011) and is co-editor of A Lie of Reinvention: Correcting Manning Marable’s Malcolm X (Black Classic Press, 2012). Ball is an associate professor of communication studies at Morgan State University in Baltimore, MD. and can be found online at IMIXWHATILIKE.ORG.
THANDISIZWE CHIMURENGA is an award-winning, freelance journalist based in Los Angeles, California. She is a staff writer for Daily Kos and co-hosts a weekly, morning drive-time public affairs/news show on the Pacifica Radio network. Chimurenga has been a Contributing Writer for the Los Angeles Watts Times, Sentinel and Wave newspapers, as well as Ebony, Truthout and Counterpunch. She is the author of No Doubt: The Murder(s) of Oscar Grant and Reparations...Not Yet: A Case for Reparations and Why We Must Wait; she is also a contributor to several social justice anthologies.
- The Myth of American Democracy, Part 2 - Take 2 - The Role of Elections
- The Myth of American Democracy, Part 2 - The Role of Elections
- Mutiny on the Corporate Sponsorship
- Ideas and Power: Tiempo de Hibridos
- Rosa Clemente on the Systemic Racism of a Capitalist State
- The Myth of American Democracy - The Reality of Symbolic but Hollow Empowerment
- Left Forum 2016 - AMY GOODMAN at the Closing Plenary: Rage, Rebellion, Organizing New Power: A Hegelian Triad - May 22, 2016
- The Past False Dichotomies of Non-Violence vs Revolution: Matt Meyer at the Reels for Radicals Palestine Film Screening
- Failing the Palestinian People: Lamis Deek at Reels for Radicals Palestinian Film Screening
- Left Forum 2016 - Cooperation Jackson: Countering the Confederate Assault & the Struggle for Economic Democracy in Jackson, MS
- People's Climate March - Mayday Space
- We are the Palestinian People: Revolution Until Victory (Remastered 1973 San Francisco Newsreel Film) TRAILER
- American Nightmare: Black Labor and Liberation Trailer
- Vince Warren, Center for Constitutional Rights, on the Structures of Racism and Inequality
- Left Forum 2015: Thenjiwe McHarris
- Los Angeles Discussion
- People's Climate March - People's Puppets of Occupy Wall Street
500+ hours of radical independent video
news & events
Click HERE to view our 2016 End-of-Year Report!
Join us on Sat., Dec 17th for a Report Back From Standing Rock to discuss experiences and analysis on the indigenous-led occupation. We will hear from members of the Iraq Veterans Against the War...
Join us on December 2nd to celebrate DDTV’s 30th Anniversary with Amy Goodman, David Barsamian, DeeDee Halleck, Kali Akuno, Laura Flanders and an invocation by Reverend Billy & The Stop Shopping...
Discussions with Jared Ball, Ajamu Baraka, Dhoruba Bin-Wahad, George Ciccariello-Maher, Rosa Clemente, Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz, Arlene Eisen, Netfa Freeman, Firoze Manji, Heather Milton Lightening,...