HEALTH AUTONOMY (2018)
Episode 5 of We Interrupt This Program: HEALTH AUTONOMY by Woodbine Collective
Our inability to care for ourselves is an impediment to revolution.
We are tied to a Healthcare system that extracts our bodies from the larger physical reality. We no longer know how to ask nature for help. Most of us cannot perform basic first aid. We think that mental health requires formal therapy. Disease is individualized while wellness is commodified. Contemporary systems of ‘care’ require us to struggle alone to perpetuate capitalist economies.
But capitalist Healthcare cannot address the world's most urgent issues. How will its institutions help us to adapt to a world without clean water? To live after the icecaps melt? To inhabit crisis? In the wake of superstorms and economic collapse, it seems clear that we have to learn to help ourselves.
Health Autonomy means to refuse isolation and nihilism. It means to act now to find each other and share practices of care for collective wellness.
Since early 2016, The Woodbine Health Autonomy group has hosted skill shares on basic first aid, disaster response, traditional Chinese medicines, and urban herbal medicines. They’ve also started a podcast, helped curate an international health festival, and greatly expanded their network to develop models for fostering a new way of life.
‘We need the elders who healed our wounds for decades, the medics who cleared our eyes in the streets, and those of us who have no formal health training at all to come together and grow the collective care we desperately need.’
About the producers:
Woodbine Collective cultivates a spirit against the end of the world. Driven by the recognition that power needs to be built and organized, the collective houses several groups working together to build a life in common. To contact the video team message firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HEALTH AUTONOMY (2018)
- WHAT IS THE #METOO MOVEMENT? (2018)
- NO PERMISSION NEEDED: Mutual Aid in the Time of Climate Catastrophe (2018)
- A TALE OF TWO BORDERS (2018)
- ANTIFA (2018)
- We Interrupt This Program Trailer
- ANTIFA: Coming January 20, 2018
- Reverend Billy and The Stop Shopping Choir #TakeAKnee at Trump Tower, NYC - September 28, 2017
- We are all Antifa - NYC Book Release Event for Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook by Mark Bray
- Antifa as a "Terrorist" Group and Membership - NYC Book Release Event for Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook by Mark Bray
- Antifa and Free Speech - NYC Book Release Event for Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook by Mark Bray
- Women's March on Washington: A POC Perspective
- No More Presidents: Protesting the Trump Inauguration
- Michael Harrington Looks at Democracy: The Two Party System and the Future of the Democrats
- Left Forum 2016 - AMY GOODMAN at the Closing Plenary: Rage, Rebellion, Organizing New Power: A Hegelian Triad - May 22, 2016
- National Insecurities (Shocking and Awful Program 3)
500+ hours of radical independent video
news & events
Deep Dish TV and Paper Tiger TV to Release New Video Series About Resistance to Rise of Far-Right Political MovementsFor Immediate Release Contact: email@example.com (212) 473-8933 Deep Dish TV and Paper Tiger TV to Release New Video Series About Resistance to Rise of Far-Right Political Movements WE INTERRUPT...
RECAP on the Do Not Resist film screening: /// Do Not Resist came highly recommended to us from a friend and board member at Deep Dish TV. Before even seeing it, I was hesitant for a couple reasons. First,...
Rojava Report Back: Building Autonomy in Syria — Event at Woodbine co-presented by Reels for RadicalsPlease join us Thursday for a discussion with a friend who has recently returned from spending 9 months in Rojava, where they were a part of both the YPG (People’s Protection Units) and TEV-DEM (Movement...
Dear Comrades, We are happy to announce that a 58min version of the Report Back From Standing Rock will air on Manhattan’s public access TV station, Manhattan Neighborhood Network (MNN): ...